Filing for Extended Unemployment Compensation in Wyoming

As the Great Recession continues to grind down the economy across the United States, long term unemployed workers in Wyoming will want to discover if they may be eligible for Extended Unemployment Compensation. Unemployment compensation benefits in Wyoming are usually available for unemployed workers for a length of time ranging from 13 to 50 weeks. The fastest way to determine if you are eligible for unemployment compensation in Wyoming is to file with the Department of Workforce Services.

To meet the qualifications for extended unemployment eligibility in Wyoming, you must have been employed with a contributing employer prior to your becoming unemployed. Then you must have lost your job through no fault of your own. Next, you must have the physical ability to accept and perform any full time work that you are offered. Then you are required to do whatever is needing in the way of handling childcare arrangements or transportation to make sure that you are available for full time employment. Once you have done this, it is mandatory that you are actively searching to find new employment. Finally, you must register with the local Employment Center for work and you must regularly file your bi-weekly claims for unemployment compensation. Once these requirements have been met, the state will determine the amount of unemployment compensation you may receive.

Once it has been determined that you are eligible for extended unemployment benefits, you can expect to receive a check every two weeks. Long term unemployment benefits in Wyoming are available for up to a total of 50 weeks. These benefits can range from $28 a week to as much as $387 per week. Typically benefits last about 26 weeks. At the end of the typical 26 weeks, one will receive a letter stating that unemployment benefits have expired. Shortly before this time or as soon as the letter arrives, you should contact the Department of Workforce Services to see about obtaining long term unemployment benefits.

In order to file for extended unemployed compensation you will need information similar to what you were required to have when you completed your initial unemployment application. You will first need your Social Security number. If you aren't a US Citizen, then you will need your US Alien Registration ID Number. Recently separated military veterans will need a copy of their DD-214. Those persons who have recently separated from a civilian Civil Service position in the federal government will need a Form SF-8 or Form SF-50. In addition to this, you must have the full names and contact information for your employers from the past 18 months. If you are a member of a union, you must have the local contact information for your local union hall. Finally, you will need the exact reasons for your unemployment from each employer that you have worked for in the last 18 months.

Once you have met the requirements above, you are ready to apply for your extended unemployment. To apply for your long term unemployment benefits, you can either go to your local office for the Department of Workforce Services or you may apply online or by phone. Local offices have representatives on staff who can assist you with your application for long term unemployment compensation during normal business hours. There are offices available in Casper, Cheyenne, Cody,

Gillette, Jackson, Lander, Laramie, Riverton, Rock Springs, and Sheridan. These offices are open usually from 8 AM until 5 PM. Monday through Friday.

While being unemployed for a long time can be frustrating, long term unemployment compensation benefits are available in Wyoming to help you get on your feet. While these benefits can never replace the income of a full-time job, they do offer some relief in the face of the continued problems of the current recession. By filing early and staying on top of your case, you will be able to benefit from this program until you are able to return to full-time work. Then you can end your unemployment benefits and begin a bright new career.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]