File and Collect Utah Unemployment

Filing for unemployment benefits in Utah can be done by telephone or online. Unemployment insurance is short-term wages for workers who meet the qualifications, are unemployed and are seeking full-time work, training for new employment, or awaiting orders to return to previous employment.

Applicants will need the following information to apply for unemployment benefits:

  • Your Social Security number.
  • A valid Utah Driver’s license or Utah-issued identification card.
  • If you are not a citizen of the US, your Alien Registration number.
  • The business names, addresses, and contact numbers of all employers for whom you worked during the last 18 months.
  • When your work started and ended (specific dates) for those employers.
  • An approximate sum of your earnings from those employers.
  • The reason you are no longer working for those employers.
  • If you have worked active military duty even one day in the past 24 months, you'll need your DD214, Member 4, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
  • A personal Identification Number (PIN), which you will select when filing
  • Your mother’s maiden name or another chosen code word
  • Claims for unemployment benefits in Utah will be accelerated if you file online. To file a new claim for unemployment insurance benefits, go to https://jobs.utah.gov/ui/initialclaims/welcome.aspx.

New claims can also be filed by calling the numbers listed and giving information over the phone. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, excluding legal holiday’s. High call volume may result in longer wait times, typically on Mondays.

Salt Lake County: (801) 526-4400

Utah County: (801) 375-4067

North Davis and Weber Counties: (801) 612-0877

Toll Free: 1-888-848-0688

To be eligible to collect unemployment benefits, you have to meet the following criteria:

  • You need to be unemployed through no fault of your own.     
  • You need to be a US citizen or authorized to legally work in the United States.
  • You need to have earned a sufficient amount in the base period to establish a monetary claim.
  • You need to have been paid wages for employment in two or more of the base term quarters that are being used.
  • You need to have earned at the minimum $3100 in total salary in the base period and earned 1.5 times the high quarter.
  • You need to have a legitimate Utah claim.
  • You will need to a claim weekly.
  • You need to be willing and available to work full-time.
  • You need to be actively seeking full-time employment in the US.
  • You need to live in the United States.

The favored method of payment is Direct Deposit into a personal savings or checking account. Claimants can also opt to get payments on a Debit Card (Utah), which works operates as a regular debit card. Benefits by paper checks are no longer distributed. Claimants need to sign and return an Electronic Payment Authorization Form (Form 682) to begin receiving payments, no matter what payment method they choose. Benefits can be interrupted or halted due to the failure to submit an Electronic Payment Authorization form by the mandatory deadline.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]