New York

Extend Your New York Unemployment

Two different federal programs provide for extended unemployment benefits in New York State: Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) and Extended Benefits (EB). EUC is the primary program for extensions, offering an additional 47 weeks of unemployment insurance for eligible individuals. The EB program offers an additional 13 weeks. You may have heard that EB benefits lasted 20 weeks. Federal law allows states whose rates of unemployment are above 8% to extend an additional 20 weeks of EB benefits. However, as New York State's unemployment rate recently dipped below 8%, it is now only able to offer 13 weeks.

Determining eligibility for unemployment extension is somewhat complex. EUC works through a tiered process. If you have exhausted your regular unemployment insurance benefits by December 25, 2011, filed your original unemployment claim by June 20, 2011 and are still unemployed, you can collect EUC if you claim it by January 1st, 2012. You'll begin in Tier 1, which lasts for 20 weeks. If you are already receiving EUC and exhaust your current tier by January 1st, 2012, you'll be able to move to the next tier. Currently, EUC is scheduled to expire on January 3, 2012. Should congress extend EUC, you can file a claim after this date.

To be eligible for unemployment payments under EB, your original New York unemployment eligibility claim must have been filed by August 2nd, 2010 and all of your regular unemployment benefits and EUC benefits must have been used. Additionally, your EB claim must be completed by January 8th, 2012. There is a catch, however. EB payments have only been authorized through January 8th of next year, so if you don't exhaust your EUC benefits until January 1st of next year, you'll only be eligible to receive one week of EB payments.

You can claim extended benefits the same way you claim your usual weekly benefits. You can log into <a href="">New York state's benefits page</a> and follow the link to "Claim Weekly Benefits" or you place your claim by phone by calling 1-888-581-5812 if you reside in New York state or 1-888-864-9920 if you are an out-of-state resident.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]
New York