How to Apply and Receive Unemployment in Michigan

In order to receive unemployment benefits in Michigan, a claim must be filed. To get unemployment apply through telephone or online.

Before filing a claim, gather the required information:

  • Your driver's license number, Social Security number and MARVIN pin (only available if you filed a claim in the past)
  • Work history for the past 18 months including names and addresses of employer(s), quarterly gross earnings and last date of employment with each employer.
  • For non-U.S. citizens and nationals, your Alien Registration Number and expiration date of your work authorization are needed.

To apply for unemployment by telephone, call the Unemployment Insurance Agency at (866) 500-0017. Claims are filed based on the last two digits of your Social Security number at the following times: (Times are Eastern)

  - 8 a.m. to noon: 00-15 Monday; 34-48 Tuesday; 67-81 Wednesday
  - 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. 16-33 Monday; 49-66 Tuesday; 82-99 Wednesday
  - Thursday and Friday are open call-ins.

An application for unemployment also is online at https://bwuc-claims.state.mi.us/mipilot/claim/index.asp between 7 a.m. Monday to 7 p.m. Sunday.

Read all directions carefully and go through the process of filling out a Michigan unemployment application. Funds can be given out through a mailed debit card or direct deposit into your checking or savings account. For that option, have your financial institution's routing transit number and your account number handy.

After filing a claim:

  • You will receive a determination of how much you qualify to receive, the amount of weekly benefits and the number of weeks you may receive.
  • If your claim is ineligible, you will receive a separate notice.

To receive unemployment benefits:

Report to the UIA online or by phone through MARVIN (Michigan's Automated Response Voice Interactive Network) every other week. Your call is based on your Social Security number. Call (866) 638-3993 or go to www.michigan.gov/uia and click "UIA Online Services for Unemployed Works."

For further assistance and more tips on filing a claim, go to http://www.michiga.gov/uia or call (866) 500-0017 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Offices also are located in Detroit, Gaylord, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Marquette and Saginaw.


[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]