Apply and Receive Unemployment Benefits in Maine

If you recently lost your job, you may not know where to turn. You have no money coming in, yet your bills are continuing to pile up. In order to help yourself stay afloat financially, you should apply for unemployment. Before you can receive unemployment benefits in Maine, you must meet certain requirements. For example, you must have lost your job through no fault of your own. You must continue looking for a new job, and you must also file weekly claims in order to start receiving unemployment benefits.

You can file your application for unemployment three ways: online, over the phone, or by mail. To file your unemployment application online, you must go to the Maine Department of Labor website. To apply over the phone, you have to call the Unemployment Claims Center at 1-800-593-7660. To file by mail, you will need to complete and turn in forms that are available at the Career Center closest to you. Applying over the internet is the quickest way to file your initial claim. When you fill out your application, you will need to provide personal information about yourself and details about all of your employers for the past 18 months, and why you are no longer employed. Typically, if you quit or were fired from your job, you will not be found eligible to receive unemployment.

Once your application is approved, you will have to make weekly claims in which you answer questions about your eligibility for benefits. You will have to wait one week in which you will not be paid any benefits. 2-3 weeks is the usual amount of time that passes before you will get your first unemployment benefit. You can choose between receiving benefits via a debit card that will be issued to you or having your benefits directly deposited into your bank account.

If you are denied unemployment benefits, you have the option to file an appeal. You will then have to attend an appeal hearing in which you can present information proving that you are eligible for benefits. Any evidence that supports your claim, such as paperwork or statements, should be presented. You can even bring a witness with you. If you disagree with the determination made after your hearing, you can file another appeal through the Unemployment Insurance Commission.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]