Kansas Extended Unemployment

It can be difficult to be one of the long term unemployed. It’s a common occurrence when the entire country experiences an economic downturn. More and more businesses have to close their doors, and workers lose their ability to provide for their families’ financial needs. To help people in this situation survive, Kansas has given its residents the ability to apply for long term unemployment benefits.

The State Extended Benefits Program

The state of Kansas implements this program after three months have passed where the unemployment rate reached at least 6.5 percent. When this is the case, people who have already finished receiving their initial unemployment benefits, may apply to receive extended unemployment for 13 more months.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for extended unemployment benefits through the State Extended Benefits Program, people must have received their last unemployment insurance payment. They must also have already received the benefits they were entitled to receive through the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program. They must have received all they could from their Tier II EUC benefits. They aren’t eligible to receive unemployment benefits from any other state in the union or in Canada. They are either unemployed or underemployed.

In order to determine Kansas extended unemployment eligibility, the state will look over the initial claims they are sent. Those that meet the requirements for Kansas extended unemployment benefits receive written notification along with an application for benefits.

Applying for Kansas Long Term Unemployment Benefits

Applying for Kansas long term unemployment benefits can be easily done by going to the Kansas Department of Labor website. They may apply beginning 12:00 p.m. Sunday until Monday at 9:00 p.m. The next opportunity begins Tuesday at 7:00 in the morning until Friday, 9:00 at night. They may apply on Saturdays from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.

They may also call the toll-free number (800) 292-6333, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. to submit their claims over the phone. If they prefer, Topeka residents may call (785) 575-1460, Kansas City residents may call (913) 596-3500 and people in Wichita may call (316) 383-9947. The hearing and speech impaired may dial the toll-free number, TTY (877) 457-5432.

Submitting the Claim

When submitting the claim online, people need to answer all of the questions as truthfully as possible. After they are finished, they just click “Submit” and they will receive the message “Claimant Determination Page.” Print this page and the process is complete.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]