Filing Your Weekly Unemployment Application in Kansas

If you lose your job through no fault of your own, you may not know where to turn. It could be very overwhelming, but the good news is that you will probably be eligible to receive unemployment benefits. Collecting unemployment can provide some financial security for you while you search for a new job. If you quit or were fired from your job, you probably won't be able to collect unemployment benefits. To file your initial claim, you must go to www.GetKansasBenefits.com, or you could file over the phone. Filing on the internet is the quickest method.

Throughout your application, you must follow all directions given to you, including requests for additional information. You may be asked to fill out forms and turn them in to the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center in order to further process your claim. You will know when your claim is finished when you reach the "Claimant Determination."

The week after you file your initial application, you will have to file your first weekly claim. You can do this over the internet or over the phone, and will be required to answer a series of questions about your job searches, whether or not you worked at all throughout the previous week, if you were offered work, if you turned any employment offers down, and other questions. Whether or not you have been given an answer as to whether or not you are eligible for unemployment benefits, you still have to file claims every week. You should file your weekly claim every week that you remain without a job. When you file your weekly claim, you will need to verify your personal information including a PIN number you must have chosen during your initial claim.

 If you are approved for benefits, the first week is a "waiting week" where you will not be paid, so plan your finances accordingly. Typically, by the second or third week, you will know the determination made about your application. If you are approved, you will receive your benefits on a special debit card that will be sent to you, or you could elect to have your benefits directly deposited into your personal checking or savings account.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]