District of Columbia

Filing for Extended Unemployment Benefits in Washington D.C.

An extended period of unemployment can be a great financial and emotional strain. That is why The District of Columbia is ready to supply temporary unemployment benefits to help you through your time of unemployment. Benefits you can expect from the District of Columbia include financial aid in the form of checks ranging from $59 to $359 per week. We can also help to provide you with help in searching for a new job and coping with some of the problems that typically occur during times of unemployment.

Figuring out how to collect benefits is not complicated but the process must be followed precisely according to District of Columbia law and Federal guidelines. To be eligible you must have been employed and must have left your job involuntarily through no fault of your own. If you quit your job or were fired for just cause, you will be ineligible for benefits for at least six weeks. You must also have earned enough money within a certain time frame to qualify for benefits, generally at least $1,950 in wages during the base period of twelve months.

Filing for unemployment benefits is best done online at does.dcnetworks.org. However if you prefer to telephone or have questions that are not answerable online then you can call the District of Columbia Department of Employment Services at (202) 724-7000 or (877) 319-7346. You can also come to one of our offices in person at 1500 Franklin Street, NE or 2626 Naylor Road, SE. If you worked in a state other than the District of Columbia you will be required to apply for benefits from that state in accordance with their eligibility rules.

To begin the process to file for DC unemployment benefits, you will need the following information: Your Social Security number, the name, address and phone number of your employer and the dates you were employed. If you are not a U.S. citizen you will need your Alien Registration Number and if you were in the military you will need your DD214 form. If you received any severance pay you must provide that information.

It is best to file for unemployment benefits as soon as possible after becoming unemployed. The District of Columbia Department of Employment Services is ready to help you to obtain any unemployment benefits for which you are eligible and to help you in your search to obtain new employment.

[Go Back]    [^ Back to Top]
District of Columbia